Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wilco - Kicking Television: Live In Chicago (2005)

It all started about a year ago, i was driving over to my ex's home and stopped by a gas station. As i almost always do i checked the cd's they were selling there and to my great surprise i found Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for only 10$ worth of money. I bought it along with a hotdog and a coke. After coming home again i checked the cd out and it wasn't bad at all. although I've never heard Wilco [allmusic link], i always reckoned they were good since the papers always praise them (at least here in Norway they do).
One year later i popped into the nearest branch of Platekompaniet (a cd store) and saw that they had a large sale, and thats where i found this one. I almost never buy live cd's when i don't have history with the artist, but the store clerk advised me to buy it, and a couple of hours later i understood why.

The first song i played after inserting the disk into my computer was "Jesus, Etc." i was immediately struck by how they somehow had incorporated country into their pop-rock. I guess its just the steel guitar. Anyways this and a few others grew on me for a few days, and now i have a new favorite live album.
Tracklist cd1:
Misunderstood
Company in my Back
The Late greats
Hell is Chrome
Handshake Drugs
I am Trying to break your heart
Shot in the Arm
At least that's What you said
Wishful Thinking
Jesus, Etc.
I'm the Man who loves you
Kicking television

Tracklist cd2:
Via Chicago
Hummingbird
Muzzle of Bees
One by One
Airline to Heaven
Radio Cure
Ashes of American Flags
Heavy Metal Drummer
Poor Places
Spiders (kidsmoke)
Comment (if all men are truly Brothers)




As i already have told you, "Jesus, Etc." was one of my favorites and here are some other tunes from the album: "Wishful Thinking", "I am Trying to break your Heart", "At least that's what you said". They are all beautiful and i love some of the lyrics. I don't know what really hit me with Wilco, but something did, maybe its the steel guitar, the frail vocals and the random rantings on the guitar. Anyways its a new love and i am deeply satisfied with it.

Official website
Allmusic link to the record
Rapidshare link part a
Rapidshare link part b
Rapidshare link part c

No comments: